On Election Day 2016 :
The American people chose Donald J. Trump as their next President. Two and a half months later, he went right to work on his biggest campaign promise: to help give America “the strongest economy anywhere in the world.”
Where are we today ?
There’s no shortage of headlines, but consider just these five facts about America on November 6, 2018:
1. Four weeks ago, the World Economic Forum named the United States the world’s most competitive economy for the first time in a decade. “The United States is the closest economy to the frontier, the ideal state,” the report says.
2. America lost nearly 200,000 manufacturing jobs under the previous Administration. Since President Trump was elected, nearly half a million new manufacturing jobs have been added. The turnaround is clear: Manufacturing employment since President Trump was elected grew 6 times faster than it did during the final two years of the Obama Administration.
3. President Trump promised 3 percent GDP growth or better. Top Obama economist Larry Summers said that goal was “fair enough if you believe in tooth-fairies.” America’s GDP has grown by 3 percent over the past four quarters, including 4.2 percent in the second quarter of 2018 and 3.5 percent in the third.
4. The unemployment rate has dropped to 3.7 percent, its lowest point since 1969. Unemployment among African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Americans without college degrees have all reached record lows under the Trump Administration.
5. The “blue-collar, middle-class Trump Economy” is the first boom in decades where blue-collar wages are growing faster than white-collar ones, lifting up working-class Americans and pulling them off the sidelines like never before.
President Trump has taken bold action:
President Trump has taken bold action across the board since his Inauguration, renegotiating outdated trade agreements, withdrawing America from the disastrous Iran nuclear deal, and earning Kim Jong Un’s commitment to denuclearize North Korea.
For all this progress, America’s economic turnaround is likely the most powerful story of them all.